Icona Pop’s “I Love It” will no doubt be the song of the summer for some. The song, which actually came out in 2012, is a call to recklessness, with the repeated lines, “I crashed my car into the bridge! I watched, I let it burn!/ I threw your shit into a bag and pushed it down the stairs!” Those lines are perfect. They’re wild and destructive without actually hurting anyone.
Icona Pop could have gone a different way with the lyrics. We discovered* a list of suggested lines from the song that ended up being rejected because they were too tame or too wild or just missed the point.
• I threw my keys into a cauldron filled with molten steel!
• I threw a cactus at a blimp!
• I stuck my butt into a geyser just to feel relief!
• I brushed my teeth and ate an orange!
• I stared into that melty-face ark from Indiana Jones!
• I bought some meat out of a van!
• I gave my address to a charity!
• I ate a bug!
• I changed my password to “password”!
• I shared a milkshake with a guy who had some open sores!
• I let a dude photograph me eating a banana!
• I clipped my nails on the bus!
• I replied-all to an all-staff email!
• I threw a Mentos at a can of Coke!
• I sent a pizza to a ghost!
• I cut my own bangs in a bumper car!
• I gave the middle finger to a shark!
• I told my dentist to go nuts!
• I tricked a very famous horse into marrying me!
• I went to a biker bar and made fun of their beards!
• I signed a contract with a cloud!
• I gave a weak handshake at a job interview!
• I stole a nightstick from a cop!
• I went swimming right after eating lunch!
• I launched a Roman candle at a bag of snakes!
• I barbecued a hat!
• I didn’t use my hand to cover my PIN code at the ATM!
(*doy, we made it up.)
on Jun 24, 2013