Of course, there are more than five amazing things about this week's My Playlist host, singer-soungwriter Shirley Eikhard but we all need a starting point:
1. At age 14 Eikhard became the youngest female (and youngest Canadian) to be signed by Capital Records.
2. Her mother, June, a much-respected Maritimes fiddler, was the first woman to compete in the Canadian Old Time Fiddlers' Competition.
3. She has written more than 500 songs.
4. Her last eight recordings (including her latest, Dream of a Perfect Day (2012)) were completely performed,all instrumentation and vocals, by Eikhard in her home studio north west of Toronto.
5. Bonnie Raitt's Grammy-award winning recording of Eikhard's 1991 song "Something to talk about" peaked at number five on Billboard's Adult Contemporary chart, number 12 on Billboard's Mainstream rock chart and nu,mber five on the Billboard Hot 100
Listen to Inside the Music on Radio 2 on Sunday 3 p.m. (3:30 NT) and Radio One on Sunday 9 p.m. (9:30 NT)
Below are this week's tracks with links to iTunes:
"I'm gonna sit right down and write myself a letter" Cleo Laine
"Cactus Tree" Joni Mitchell
"Oleander" Sarah Harmer
"Mama Tried" Merle Haggard
"Teresa My Love" Antonio Carlos Jobim
"Die Zauberflote" Florence Foster Jenkins
Anne Murray's Superspecial
Bonnie Raitt Celebrates songwriters
on Aug 16, 2012