We were messaging around the CBC Music offices the other day and someone sent the link to this video. All pretence of work immediately ceased.
Next came the description of the video:
“The song is characterized by its strongly addictive beats and lyrics, and is thus certain to penetrate the foundations of modern philosophy.”
It penetrates, all right. That may be why some of us actually thought the title was “Open Condom Style.” But no, it’s “Gangnam Style.”
Deep research tells us Gangnam is the 90210 of Seoul, South Korea. And that Korean rapper PSY (a heretofore marginal figure on the Korean music scene) has shot ahead of some of South Korea’s biggest girl groups with “Gangnam Style” in the recent K-Pop Hot 100 chart.
Why should you watch? Because it’s the most entertaining thing we’ve seen in a downward dog’s age. But here are 10 other reasons:
10. Three words: "Horse Riding Dance." It's the next Lambada.
9. Most memorable horsie-in-barn moments outside of country music.
8. The ability to sing despite hurricane-force winds driving pounds of confetti into open mouth.
7. Killer pyro puts Jerry Bruckheimer to shame.
6. Safety first: dons PFD for "Horse Riding Dance" in moving boat.
5. Surprise! Elevators have cowboys doing "Horse Riding Dance," too.
4. Award-winning awkward crawling through dancer’s legs.
3. Passionately singing while voiding bowels, a previously undervalued skill.
2. Michael Jackson's "Bad" dance battle is nothing, let us repeat: nothing, compared to dance-off between PSY and "Banana Man."
1. The words "Gangnam Style" can so easily be sung as "Open Condom Style." Try it!
What's your number one awesome thing about PSY's "Gangnam Style" video? Let us know between replays.
Bonus viewing: "The making of Gangnam Style"
on Aug 01, 2012