Leonard Cohen, Bob Dylan and Joni Mitchell.
Dan Mangan, PJ Harvey and Damien Rice.
If you have any of the above on your playlist, then you've found a home here, and welcome to CBC Music's Singer-Songwriter Community. And if you don't have any of the above on shuffle, then we invite you to stick around anyway.
Here, our goal is to provide a space to discover new artists, listen to favourites and interact with others who love a good, well-crafted song. Here, we'll bring you the latest on the legends and the inheritors of their legacy — from the biggest stages to the coffeeshop standouts — and offer news about new releases and tour dates, plus in-depth, intelligent features on the artists and the music by our team and the songwriters themselves.
Plus, CBC Music offers some great new ways for you to listen to the music that you love:
• There are 40 new web radio stations – Canadian and international – that you can stream 24/7, free of charge
• Hear a new song you love? Click on the + button and add it your own playlist. You can even share your playlists with your friends and fellow community members
• Artist pages, where international artists can upload their music to share it with you
• On Demand Concerts — hundreds of concerts recorded by CBC, available on demand
• Our new mobile app lets you stream all of the stations we offer
Here at Singer-Songwriter, you'll find daily content on our home page and blog, plus a pair of dedicated streams:
• "Canadian Songwriters" -- The best Canadian songs, new and old
• "Singer-Songwriter" -- All the best from your favourite singer-songwriters, new and old, Canadian and international
In short, we'll provide a place for everything that CBC already does so well, and use these new CBC Music tools to make it better and extend the conversation with fans of the genre.
What is the greatest Neil Young album? What makes great lyrics? Bryan Adams or Ryan Adams? What's the most Canadian song ever written? These are all good questions. And maybe you've even debated them with your friends. A large part of what we're doing here is to provide a place to debate these things with people across the country. To contribute to the ongoing conversation, just sign up (if you already are a CBC Radio 3 member, you're already in), put on some headphones or turn up your speakers and start interacting with us and the fellow members of your community. Or, as Bob Dylan said: "Come gather ’round people, wherever you roam."
All we ask is that you keep it civil and be respectful of your fellow members. I, and the other writers in the community, will be reading the comments and looking for ways to get .
Questions? Why not start a conversation below, or send us an email: firstname.lastname@example.org. And you can also find us on Facebook (Facebook.com/CBCMusic) or Twitter (twitter.com/CBC_Music).
Thanks, and we look forward to enjoying and discovering great music together.
Brad Frenette, CBC Music
on Feb 13, 2012